Don’t Rush Me!
A storybook about special needs siblings to engage the whole family!
My daughter, Jordhan, has the unique position of not only being a middle child, but a middle child among siblings with special needs. This story touches on the important contributions Jordhan makes to our family, especially on the days when she doesn’t think so. We need more stories for siblings of special needs children. This is my gift to each of them to show how much we appreciate their very important role in the family.
In the book, I have outlined activities that siblings can do on their own, or with parents and/or siblings. To make the most of the message given in the book, as well as from the activities provided, it is my hope that siblings and family members will:
- Have a tool that will help make siblings of special needs children more visible in the family unit;
- Give a voice to siblings that represents how real their feelings and concerns are, even when they aren’t always able verbalize those things;
- Help to provide a greater level of understanding by strengthening communication, patience and respect among family members;
- Show that there is so much more than the labels these families are given and offer some insight into how they can learn to advocate for their children; and
- Remember that each of us brings something beautiful and unique with us into the world that we can learn from, and teach others about. And that’s so powerful.
--Diane M. Renna, author of Meghan's World: The Story of One Girl's Triumph Over SPD
"Using colorful illustrations to deliver her message and spot-on dialogue, any parent or child can identify with the situations Chynna Laird presents. Written from the perspective of a typical child, one understands the patience and assistance she willingly offers to her siblings with sensory processing difficulties. This is a sweet, lovely book that cheers family relationships and accepts individual differences in others."
--Laurie Zelinger, PhD, ABPP, RPT-S, Board Certified Psychologist, author of Please Explain "Terrorism" to Me
From Loving Healing Press www.LHPress.com